Recycling glass has many environmental benefits.
- It is sustainable - Glass containers are 100% recyclable, meaning they can be infinitely recycled with no loss of purity or quality of the glass.
- It saves landfills – Because glass is 100% recyclable, there is no need to throw away any old glass bottles or containers, which lightens the burden on landfills. A glass bottle at a landfill can take up to one million years to break down.
- It saves natural resources – Recycled glass can sometimes replace up to 95% of raw materials, therefore helping to conserve natural resources.
- It reduces energy consumption – Using cullet (broken glass to be recycled) in glass manufacturing requires less energy than manufacturing new glass from virgin raw materials. The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle supplies enough power to run a computer for 20 minutes.
- It reduces carbon emissions – It is estimated that for every six tons of recycled glass used in the manufacturing process, carbon dioxide emissions are reduced by one ton.